Friday, February 20, 2009

Blackberry

So, I wasn't sure which fruit would be next; then, I looked into the refrigerator. Lo and behold, blackberries. For those who don't know, blackberries are not really 'black.' No, I'm not being fruitcist. In fact, their color is sooo rich with purple, that to the naked eye, it looks black. When you look at its stain, it's actually purple (see below)!

Side note: For Blackberry users, the new touch screen blackberry from Verizon is cool! You should totally get it, but please refrain from eating it! I'm warning you, I don't think it tastes any good!

How pricey are blackberries? Well, in the world of fruit, it is comparable to the Blackberry phone family. When they're not in season, they're as pricey as red currants, blueberries or raspberries. Lucky for me, *I* didn't purchase it. Actually, I'm not sure who bought it, but let's just say I'm happy to be eating it. It's a bonus bonus since it's technically free. ;)

Apparently, via wiki-p, the blackberry I'm devouring is called "black butte blackberry." To whomever named it, it's kind of redundant. ;)

^- A blackberry bush via wiki-p -^


^- Notice the different color spots -^


^- Same 3 berries with top, side and bottom views -^


^- Top close-up -^


^- Bottom close-up, but can you even tell?! -^


^- Inside view of the berry (vertical cut), notice the cool purply center -^


^- Inside view at a different angle (horizontal cut) -^


^- Blackberry center without the individual bulbs (if you click the picture, hopefully, u can see where the bulbs attach--dark yellow color) -^


^- Nectar of fruit with seed, it looks like I have a bleeding wart -^


^- Side view of nectar, very jelly-like -^


^- Skin of one bulb -^


^- Individual bulbs, seeds and stain (see purple vs black!) -^


Scientific Name: Rubus fruticosus (common name)
Origin: Northern Hemisphere (north of Earth's equator)
Color: Dark rich purple (some may have purple/red spots)
Texture: With the "center" - firm; Without the "center" - soft, squishy and fragile
Description: In each bulb of the blackberry, it houses a single seed. As a result, blackberries have a lot of seeds. If you eat blackberry jam, you now know why the jam has so many seeds.

Since the blackberry as a whole is very soft, biting into it immediately tears apart the fruit to non-existence. The first taste of the blackberry is mildly sweet--sweet enough to enjoy; but then, if the center is bitter (like mine), there is a noticeable bitter chase.

Surprisingly, the first bite into the seeds (no pulp!) are also sweet. Who knew seeds could be sweet? As for the "center," it is slightly bitter. Not bitter enough to not eat the center, but bitter enough for it to be noticeable. I guess that's why the seeds are sweet and not bitter.

What is it like? Anything remotely close? As of right now, to me, blackberries have their own taste. It can be comparable to a mixture of blueberries and something. If I can remember the 'something', I'll edit the post. ;)

Overall Taste: Mildly sweet with a bitter chase. The numerous seeds can either be fun to crack or annoying. For me, it was fun and I'm a lazy eater (I don't like to chew).

For more nutritional information about blackberries, visit wiki-p.

No comments:

Post a Comment